homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hippies

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hippies
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:09:38 -0500

Talk about labeling...whoa..
I am a meld of the two, Lynn.
Bev is Earth; I am connected spiritually to this planet, and I guarantee
you that I have spent more money on trees and wildlife causes-just this
year than probably any of the regular posters on this list. I am a
child of the 60's and 70's, I still love bell bottoms and braid and rope
belts and long hair. I even have a peace sign in my garden and I am
about to make a hypertufa peace sign for the door of my greenhouse.
At the same time, I prepared for y2k, have always had dreams about post
apocolyptic life, I store food and dry goods and learn skills, and I am
preparing to hunker down and disconnect.
Lynn, I am very idealist, almost to the point of being naive, and yet, I
am hardened by events in my life. I'm not a 'God Loves You' kind of
girl, and I, too, am a reformed yuppie, so I suppose I am more of a
Back-To-The-Lander than a Hippie.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Yeah, I was a 'hippy' through high school and college, then I tried
the yuppy thing for almost 20 years. It just wasn't 'me'. I'm an
idealistic hippy again, but I hope not as naive as I was.

I was just talking to someone who said that there seem to be two
types of homesteaders. One is the cool hippy types and nature
lovers... folks that may want to deal less with concrete and steel
and more with green and timber. The other type fears "other" humans
or are hunkering down for the end of the world.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda