homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who's Da Best
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:17:53 EST

> >Reagan, and I voted against him twice

Until a couple of years ago I'd have said the same without hesitation, and I
did vote for him twice. But of late I've come to have my doubts. Reagan ran
the Soviet Union aground by getting the Saudis to flood the world with cheap
oil in exchange for military protection of the royal family (and other
considerations).

It worked.

But cheap oil led to urban sprawl and large houses and long commutes, which
made us unable to deal with Peak Oil and fed into the housing bubble. It
also
made our economy dependent on the petro dollar which enouraged us to abandon
manufacturing as an economic base.

The side effects and hangover of Reaganomics is proving to be quite a pill.