homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rice

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rice
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:31:44 -0400

Says plant in Summer. You might as well say it takes 5 months to grow,
so I personally would have to plant it with cotton right after the last
frost, starting it in flats in the greenhouse. You are a zone warmer,
so you have a bit more leeway.
It does say it's a heavy feeder, which makes sense considering the fact
that Asian countries sometimes use human urine and feces for fertilizer.
I'm thinking we would need some kind of animal manure for the mucky
soil,,,,maybe you could create the muck a few months before you
transplant, like make it now for Spring transplanting, and use pig
manure, horse manure or whatever kind of manure you can find. That way,
the hot poop can cool for a few months. Another thing, and you could
probably do this better than me because of temps, is that you could set
you your pool, add some bream and catfish and let nature work through
the winter and spring. Our farm store sells fish several times a
year...get em small, let em grow..harvest them when you drain the
rice..you might add a submersible pump for aeration.
Just brainstorming,

Bev, who is taking a break from cutting up tire..making a rubber edging
for the garden

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
My pool has a concrete bottom, one foot high metal walls (holes
drilled for draining, will plug with rubber corks from inside and
plant mint at weeps on outside) 15 foot diameter. I have been saving
rocks that came out of the trench from the septic reroute to put
around the exterior to hide the metal. That would make it about 177
sf, or 23# of rice. We use a lot more rice too, because we cook our own dog food (turkey & rice with beans and greens). But it seems
decent to experiment with. I'll send you a picture of it offline
later this afternoon.

This is good info. When does one plant?

--Sage

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:00:55 -0400 EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>