homestead - [Homestead] Arch question

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <LittleHouses AT yahoogroups.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <cheap-shelters AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Arch question
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:30:45 -0400

Last night we got into a bull session fueled by my son's good BBQ and some
good craft beer (the last of the Stone). One of the many subjects was
building and that veered into temporary shelters. My incle used to build
Quonset style half rounded barns. I argued that some sort of gothic arch
would be stronger and use less material. It all came down to what the curve
of the arch should be.

What would be a good curve for a gothic style arch? What would be an easy
way to lay out such a curve? And how much of a curve can one put in 24 ga
roofing?

Don Bowen KI6DIU