homestead - Re: [Homestead] I know I can't be a Yankee..

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I know I can't be a Yankee..
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:01:45 -0400

Well, I'm looking at it as a good way to make sure we get winterized before it gets *really* bad. : )

And yes, Bob, this house isn't big, but it's funny, it's U shaped. Right now we are only using the bottom part of the U, so it's not too terrible to maintain. Basically, the old fashioned two up, two down. We got about 6 cords of wood in, for the wood stove we are using in the front room. There is also one in a back room we are not using (yet) and I have a Jotul gas stove we could put in too, if Roy wants to. There is also a oil burning furnace in the basement but we have it set to about 50, so I've only heard it come on once, this afternoon, in fact. What we need to do is winterize and figure out a better air flow system with some fans or something, right now the heat is going right up the stairwell to the Taz's room and the kitchen and laundry, where I tend to spend my time, is a little bit fridgidy.