homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead meat processing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead meat processing
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:31 -0800

Depends on what you are skinning and where you are hanging it.

We're rigging up a room down in the barn to hang stuff in. With the mountain lions, bob cats, coyotes, fox and bear that come right up to the deck, outdoor hanging simply isn't an option here.

We skin and bag them and then let them hang. You can get cheese cloth type tube bags to slide over a carcass that are kinda stretchy and fit goats, sheep and deer. I'm no expert on goat, so you'll have to talk to James on that. Deer should hang at least 48 hours. The older the deer (count age by the forks), the longer you should hang it. AND, the amount of fat cover also dictates how long you can hang it. Less fat, shorter amount of time. OR, just make sausage and jerky and don't worry about the hanging.

Sheep usually hang at least a week.

Hogs hang 24 to 48 hours. They don't need to age.

Beef, well, you need a cooler to do them. Anything less than a week is a waste of time in MNSHO <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Hey all,

It's about that time. Bev's discussing processing a goat has got me
thinking about how I skin goats. (This is the area my homestead skills
are really low.)

I was under the impression that you need to skin the animal while it
is warm to make it easier. But if I decide to hang them to age, the
meat would dry out if I skinned it. Is it harder to skin a carcass
after it's hung to age? Is there anything else I need to know about
hanging to age?

Rob - Va