homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead meat processing

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead meat processing
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:05:43 EDT

> >So do you skin then age, or age then skin?

Keep in mind that aging doesn't require that the carcass be intact. Whole
sides of beef and pork are hung to age for convenince's sake as much as for
anything else.

Most often for a goat or deer I will skin the carcass and quarter it and age
the quarters. But if it's a favorable cold outside, in the 20's at night and
low 40's in the day (and these days are getting rare!), I will hang the
unskinned carcass whole. If you let rigor mortis come and go, the carcass is
much
easier to handle.

James