homestead - Re: [Homestead] Don's looking for a lady?

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Don's looking for a lady?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:56:07 -0400

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

> Do what I did. Marry a city boy and lure him to the dark side.

It didn't work for me. Brian was city born and raised. He agreed to move
to the country, said he could be happy anywhere. He was immediately
miserable here. We started a dairy (his idea), but he hated it so much
that he moved out and left me with 2 young children and the dairy to
run. I couldn't handle it alone, so after a few months shut it down. He
left the area, got a job, got fired after a few months and eventually
moved back here.

He was so depressed that he couldn't hold a job. We had no money, but he
HAD to have therapy and expensive antidepressants. They didn't do
anything for him (his problems are not something a pill can fix). He
told everyone how much he hated it here, which of course didn't endear
us to the locals. I was working as hard as I could to make the farm work
and he was in the house sulking. I had to force/manipulate/drag/coerce
him to do any little thing (including watch the kids so *I* could work).
After a couple years of that, I finally had enough and kicked him out,
then divorced him. He moved back to the city, where he still isn't
happy. He recently told me that I didn't have a farm, I had a big vacant
lot with a house on it. Same charmer he always was.

SO...I'm very skeptical about men in general, and would NEVER invite
someone to live here who wasn't enthusiastic about all aspects of
homesteading. There are worse things than being alone.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA