homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading getting around?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading getting around?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:30:45 -0700 (PDT)

For me, cows are out of the question, as are horses. I had both growing up.
I never learned to like horses. I like cows, but they are too big for me , at
this point in my life. Here in Az, horses are a big deal. To me they are a
lot of trouble.

With five acres, I hope I could grow enough food for two people and have
small animals( few pigs, chickens, rabbits, maybe a couple of goats?
for meat (plus game). I'm not limiting myself to five acres; I'm just
saying to move to five acres with 'live' water, from a 1/3 acre city home,
would be a nice transition.

If what I just described can not be done on five acres , please tell me why.
I grew up on 104 acres, most of it just set there, not being used. Only a
small portion was truly productive.

p.s. And, horses need way too much room .........bobford