homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading getting around?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading getting around?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:36:59 -0400

I think they mean lots of land.
I have 22, and my two best friends have 35 and 45. My immediate neighbors have 5 and 15 and 15. The average size subdivided lot in my zip code is probably about 1/2 acre, but there are subdivisions with 5 acre tracks. When I was looking, there seems to be a price break around 20 acres...of course, out west, like Wyoming, I can't imagine that those 40 acre parcels have water. Almost everyone around here has water.

Bev

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
The article says "high acreage" over and over. Does that refer to it's altitude (like 'high plains' or something?) or lots of land? I can't imagine that 40 acres would be a big ranch out there. My 42 acres is considered a tiny farm (or not even a real farm, depending on who you are talking to). But maybe 40 acres sounds big to city slickers.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA

Rob wrote:
http://www.urbansurvival.com/week.htm
Thursday, 23 Oct's column had this

What's more, you can see people waking up to this trend as I
caught an ad on one of the financial channels this week for 40-acres parcels for homesteading at Wild Horse Ranch in Wyoming. Rural homesteading parcels on financial channels? Mentioning under $2,000 an acre? Who (besides us) would have thought?<<
http://www.wildhorseranchwy.com/wyoming-ranches.html

Rob
becida AT comcast.net