homestead - Re: [Homestead] polkberries

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] polkberries
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:36:49 EDT

For Easter, perhaps, or High Mass.
Just a thought.
Sandy
So totally fallen away.

In a message dated 10/17/2008 2:58:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

Poke salad, salat, pokeweed...very common in the South. It grows
quickly and large..fruit will dye things purple as you are aware.
James will probably chime in with all kinds of details, but quickly, you
use the young leaves for salad. Older leaves can be eaten too if boiled
with a change of water. I would not eat the berries. It is what makes
bird poo purple..why would I do that to myself? LOL

Bev