homestead - Re: [Homestead] polkberries

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] polkberries
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:23:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 10/17/08, keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net> wrote:

> I found out what my mystery berries are from a brother
> visiting from
> Tennessee, polkberries. I had searched online and through
> my books for
> hours without finding it. He told a story about how an
> elderly lady he
> knows uses the berries to help her arthritis. Five berries
> a day,
> freezing them for later. Further research warned they are
> poisonous.
> Anyone eat the greens?

We always thought they were poisonous until my uncle married a widow from
Arkansas. When they started eating it we did too. Though I understand that
there is potential for poison. We may have not had a problem because we
cooked all vegetables "to death". Great mixed with wild mustard, the poke
has a smooth texture and mixes well with the courser texture of mustard.