homestead - Re: [Homestead] Malabar spinach

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Malabar spinach
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:00:45 -0400

Mine has reseeded itself several years in a row...maybe yours will, too. I am allowing myself to think of it as a perennial, hence the ladder.

Bev

Jerry B wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:
Malabar Spinach.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/101422/
I just love my malabar spinach. We recently bought a new ladder and I now have the old wooden ladder in the garden. Next year, assuming the spinach returns from reseeding, it will find a new, dedicated home on the ladder. It is a pretty vine.
It is indeed a beautiful vine and in just one season has become a favorite veggie for us. Lightly sauteed with anything else, it is fantastic, it's texture so full bodied and succulent. Some friends from Louisiana sent us our seeds last spring. Unfortunately I suspect first frost will come too soon here in Tidewater, Virginia for the seeds to sufficiently mature. It is very drought resistant, but susceptible to cold weather. I might try it in the greenhouse, surely a great plant to have around all year. We grew ours against a 5' chicken-wire fence and it covered the entire row. Just can't say enough for the plant ... 'cept like you, "we just love our malabar spinach"!

Here's another good link .... http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2006su_spinach.html jerry b