homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sometimes, I really hate keeping animals (with swearing)

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sometimes, I really hate keeping animals (with swearing)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:16:06 -0400

Moon; I'm so sorry about your ewe. That sort of thing happens to me a
lot. Sheep, phooey. They are born looking for a way to die. Their legs
are their weakest spots...a day doesn't go by that I don't have one ewe
or another limping. These things always happen at night. Often in a
blizzard. I once had a calf born outside in sub-zero weather in the
middle of the night. By the time I dragged it to the barn, it's legs had
frozen. I was up all night with a hair dryer on it's legs (it survived,
but it's legs were never right).

I don't really have any advice. If you can afford it, and she's not in
pain or moving too much, you could wait until tomorrow and have the vet
out. I've actually seen sheep with splints; I don't know if they had
actual breaks or just sprains or what. I always have this hope that
something can be done, although it rarely works out that way. At least a
vet could help you deal with putting her down. I hate going through
things like that alone. Then you've got the body to deal with...I've
dragged many a dead animal to a spot where I could compost them. I'm
sorry. It sucks.

Lynn Wigglesworth