homestead - Re: [Homestead] McCain/Liddy

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] McCain/Liddy
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:11:13 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Letterman brought it up last night. In the "guilt by association" department, how come we haven't heard in mainstream media about McCain's friendship with G. Gordon Liddy? Sheesh; the guy tried to swing an election by stealing 'secrets'. Liddy has advocated the best way to kill an ATF agent (a head shot). If that isn't 'domestic terrorism', what is?

I think and for me, the difference is someone who is repentant and served their time.
By our current definitions, both Liddy and Ayers would probably be dt's.
Liddy served time and has been apologetic.
Ayers prouldy confessed his crimes, but charges were dropped because the FBI illegally wiretapped him. He was convicted of possession of explosive, but did no prison for the offense. He was a fugitive for years and has since been unrepentant. In his mind, he did nothing wrong.
Had Ayers, over 40 years, come out and say, I was young and stupid and my actions were terrible, horrible acts of violence against innocent people, but today I realize that change should be affected through non-violent means only, then I might feel differently about the guy. IMO, just because the guy has not committed an act in some many years does not make him any less dangerous, in fact, if there has been no mental reversal, it may have him more dangerous.
The other difference is that McCain and Liddy have had a relationship that is 'airways-open' for 'inspection', so to speak, and McCain has addressed that and not lied about it.
Obama on the other hand, lied about his connections to Ayers, at first saying he didn't know him-only a guy from his neighborhood. Now, he gives us Ayers' resume and says Ayers doesn't advise him. I personally don't think he is telling the truth, and that is certainly not the extent of the relationship. Why is he hiding or avoiding talking about the nitty gritty details?