homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:35:30 -0700

On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:31 AM, rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:

All logical arguments, Gene, but leaving out a major crucial fact.
The tax burden gets passed on.

For example, I currently rent.

Stop that as soon as you can. Renting is like using credit cards: you are making a profit for someone else. Make it for yourself. Find a very modest foreclosed property and buy it for your family.

Tax rates have gone up on local properties.

Tax rates are set by county governments. Your elected representatives set a budget and then ask the Assessor to provide the assessed valuation against which to levy the necessary taxes to pay for the budget. This is a local issue. If you believe it is wrong, speak out locally.

You would think, then,
that the evil landlords are being punished for their obscene
profit-taking.

Obscene profit taking? By the judgement of renters? Is it legal? Then it is part of the acclaimed American free enterprise system that has been in operation for a very long time. All of us have equal opportunity to buy rental property and set rent scales. How much rent can be charged depends on local conditions. Supply and demand.

But no, instead, rates on rentals have gone up. So
who is paying the increased taxes? in reality, not in Obamaworld.
The poor renters. Or the poor suckers. it's all merely semantics,
after all.

No, the principles of sound financial decisions remain the same. Live below your means. Operate on a cash basis. Don't buy a car until you have the cash. Borrow money only for real estate and education.

And if the day evercomes that my teacher salary become 1 million a
year, well them, Joe will be making 6-7 million, and we will be wiping
our collective butts with money, instead of charmin, and I won't even
be able to GET the Ramen Noodle, much less eat them.

And your health will be the better for it.

I like your Obamaworld, Gene, but that's all it is... a fantasy

Nobody knows what Obama can do until he tries it and takes on the DC Whorehouse. I believe he has promise.

Joe the plumber will pass on his increased tax burden to his customers,
which will raise the prices his customers pay,

Does any business do otherwise?

which means he will NOT
get more business, and he will have to fire his newly hired employees,
which means unemployment still goes up.

Again, the free enterprise system. All businesses face competition, which keeps prices reasonable, as long as the service or product provided is of equal quality.

See?

I have seen this system for a long time. I must say that I miss the days when I had the certainty of youth.