homestead - Re: [Homestead] Osage Orange

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Osage Orange
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:24:28 -0800

There are cultivers that are thornless (Whicita, White Shield and Park), so you could still grow them as a hedge and not have to deal with the thorns. They are listed as a "fast" growing tree which means you should get a minimum of 18" of growth a year.

See if you can get some root cuttings. They grow very well from root cuttings.

There are a few OO trees in town and of course, the fruit is dropping
into and littering the roads. I am thinking that this might be a tree
that would be good to grow here. I've read several pages and I do have
a concern. Where I would want to plant these, in a hedge, is near where
people drive into the pasture when we have star parties. How much of a
problem are the thorns? Will they really flatten a tractor tire? Is it
worth my time to try to grow a few hundred of these or not? What am I
missing? If I can get some of these growing, we can cut them for
fenceposts to sell or use ourselves. BUT, the thorn issue is a serious
one. What say ye? All of this assumes that the female fruit producing
trees in town have a male pollinator somewhere nearby and that the fruit
contain viable seeds---Ron is going to pick up a few 'apples' tomorrow.