homestead - Re: [Homestead] Osage Orange

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Osage Orange
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:32:03 -0700

On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:27 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

There are a few OO trees in town and of course, the fruit is dropping
into and littering the roads. I am thinking that this might be a tree
that would be good to grow here. I've read several pages and I do have
a concern. Where I would want to plant these, in a hedge, is near where
people drive into the pasture when we have star parties. How much of a
problem are the thorns? Will they really flatten a tractor tire?

The thorns are seriously nasty. Doubt they would flatten a thick tractor tire but they have flattened my riding lawnmower tire.

I would plant them far from where you would do any people activity.

The wood is lovely yellow and very hard.