homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:07:05 -0400

> How large of an area do you work at a time? Do you set aside a goal,
> like an acre a year or how do you decide?

I started in an easy access area that is pastured, cause I wanted to
be able to get in there. Then I have two areas I'm working on, just to
have two modes of access. I have no real goal, just started in areas
that obviously need some thinning and where the entrance to the
logging road will be when I get the trail cleared. I'd like to be able
to go around the circumference of the property one day and have a
trail.

My main goal is to have firewood cut for a couple of years.

> I need to remember to take my tree ID book with me when I walk the
> woods. Most I know, but there is always that one tree that you can't
> quite identify because you can't see the leaf canopy.

I have that problem coming here from Florida, most trees aren't the
same as South Florida, anyway. I've got ID down like you, mostly.
Sometimes have to bring a leaf back and the different oaks can be
confusing. Reason to mark them now is so I can identify in winter, I'm
awful at ID of bark. I'm cutting firewood in the cold this year.
Forget spring cutting, too many ticks. Summer is too hot.

Rob - Va