homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:28:55 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:

Does anyone know if sweet gum sells well as timber? I can't find much
online. I'm thinking that if there is a nice straight gum tree, I'd
probably be best to leave it for timber. It's not great firewood and
splitting it is really tough. The smaller ones, less than a foot
thick, make decent firewood and don't need split.

I don't think so, Rob. It is so wet that it often checks if extreme care is not taken. If it can be dried without too much checking, it is a good furniture wood, but you really need controlled conditions like a wood kiln.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan