homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:29:32 -0400

> I don't think so, Rob. It is so wet that it often checks if extreme
> care is not taken. If it can be dried without too much checking, it is
> a good furniture wood, but you really need controlled conditions like a
> wood kiln.

That's what I'm thinking on the Sweet Gum. I just marked out another
wood lot I'm going to start working on this winter and marked a lot of
little 6 to 8 inch gums. Best to take them for firewood and leave the
better stuff. The big ones, I'm not tackling. The only way I can split
it is to cut it really short.

It's a nice time to go out and mark out a wood lot for firewood
harvest. Beautiful (warm) fall weather and the leaves are changing. It
feels good to mark out another little area that I can improve on. I've
got a lot of nice hardwood trees on this place. As I start harvesting
in an area, I'm making paths to get in and out, hopefully one day with
a horse.

Rob - Va