homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:09:38 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:58 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I haven't done that with my woods, and I should. There is a lot of
> deadfall up on the ridge.

I ran across two or three dead trees today in this new area. Nothing
big, but still good for firewood. I'm going to get them this weekend.

> Some of the vines had worked their way up 40-50
> feet. As I was pulling out the vine, I could hear it scream, but the
> tree was saying 'thank you kindly'. :) I need to do more of that, I
> think.

I do that also. Some areas that make sense, i bring the goats in and
they wait for me to pull the vines down. It's a good bonding exercise
:>)

> So Rob, how do you mark your trees for firewood? Ribbons? Painted
> blazes? Do you go by any kind of guidelines for spacing? Most of my
> forest trees are less than a foot in diameter, and very tall and
> straight, trying to reach the light of the canopy top.

I had some survey tape. I can reuse it. When I ran out, I blazed them
with a machete.

I just kind of wing it on spacing. I found a good old maple tree with
4 or 5 shoots or whatever growing up form the base. About 6 to 8
inches, I'll cut that out. If two trees are within arms reach or so of
each other and 8 inches or so, I'll cut out the lessor tree. Straight
trees with good bases are pretty safe other than gum trees. I'll leave
a lot of tree for next pass in a few years. Oaks, maples, hickory,
birch I prefer over all.

Rob - Va