homestead - Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Woodlot management
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:20:29 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:

I ran across two or three dead trees today in this new area. Nothing
big, but still good for firewood. I'm going to get them this weekend.

How large of an area do you work at a time? Do you set aside a goal, like an acre a year or how do you decide?

I do that also. Some areas that make sense, i bring the goats in and
they wait for me to pull the vines down. It's a good bonding exercise
:>)

I was wishing I had girls around to enjoy it, for sure. I actually thought about how excited they would become.

I had some survey tape. I can reuse it. When I ran out, I blazed them
with a machete.

I just kind of wing it on spacing. I found a good old maple tree with
4 or 5 shoots or whatever growing up form the base. About 6 to 8
inches, I'll cut that out. If two trees are within arms reach or so of
each other and 8 inches or so, I'll cut out the lessor tree. Straight
trees with good bases are pretty safe other than gum trees. I'll leave
a lot of tree for next pass in a few years. Oaks, maples, hickory,
birch I prefer over all.

I've got several different kinds of birches-and would you believe I found a 4 trunk river birch 100 feet up the hill and 200 feet away from the dry creek? I was amazed that it would be so far from the creek area. That tells me that there is a spring there...<bev files away for future reference>

I need to remember to take my tree ID book with me when I walk the woods. Most I know, but there is always that one tree that you can't quite identify because you can't see the leaf canopy.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan