homestead - Re: [Homestead] My last broilers

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My last broilers
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:01:42 -0400

Rob, plant sunflowers, millet, and sorghum near where the chickens will be. Timing is important since the life of the broilers is short. If you time it right, all you will have to do is bend the stalks over so the chickens can reach the feed. No threshing necessary. Of course, you can also grow it, thresh it, dry it, and feed it later.
Today, while topping off my garden beds, I had to dig out some old decomposed rabbit poop. It was in a big pile and bermuda grass had grown over the pile. Roots and stolons were throughout the pile, so it was tedious work picking them out. In the process, shovel full by shovel full, I found maybe 50 large white grubs-Japanese beetle larvae, each time I found one, I tossed it to the chickens. By late this afternoon, they all looked deformed, their crops bulging severely. Perhaps I overdid it..lol..
But I know you are in Z7, too, and probably have the same grubby problem. If you don't mind a day of labor once a week or so while you have the broilers, perhaps you, too, can dig through your garden beds and compost piles for grubs, worms, and other buggies.....Insects are total protein.

Robert Walton wrote:

Problem is feed costs.
Growing my own grains was a dream a few years ago. I've always wanted
to do it. It is quickly becoming a necessity.

Rob - Va

--
"What Luck for Rulers that Men do not Think" Adolf Hitler
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net