homestead - Re: [Homestead] Throwing the Gun

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Throwing the Gun
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 12:13:25 EDT

> You don't seem to be saying that they won't be hurt, but instead, that in
> the long term it would be beneficial, after the pain.

Not precisely. As many fool as I know who borrowed money on the fake rise in
equity of their houses and kite from one credit card to the other just to
eat, I know just as many people who were wooed by the banks to take out a
HELOC
loan ("You deserve that vacation to the tropics!") and said, "Sorry, but only
fool would do that."

You, Bob, paint a picture that the honest, hardworking, frugal person who has
been very careful with their affairs will be blind-sided by this debacle and
stand there, palms upturned, shrugging their shoulders, and saying they are
suffering harm through no fault of their own.

I'm telling you that's not so.

One interview I read was of a woman with an investment business who was
bemoaning the fact that she could not get yet another bank loan to tide her
over
because two clients had bellied up and could not pay her. The gist was,
'hard
working people like this'. Hard working? Pshaw. It reminds me of the line
in
the song, "That' ain't woiking, that's the way you do it, money for nothing
and you chicks for free..." That isn't someone who is hard working and, boo
hoo, after all my hard work look at what's happened!

In my misspent youth I was the night audior for a group of local motels. The
vice president of the company's first name was Morris and the people who
worked there referred to him as Morris the Cat because he was never seen to
do
anything of any benefit. The night auditor had been there since eleven the
previous evening, and that usually after a day in college, trying to untangle
the
books with charges and reciepts scribbled on the backs of folios and vouchers
written on chewing gum wrapers and stuck under the drawer. Here would come
Morris the Cat sailing in at 5:30 in the morning, gruffly demand to see the
ledgers, then go off raising hell with the kitchen staff because they did not
have
the breakfast of such a busy man as himself ready. After all, HE got up at
4:00 every day and worked haaaard! But all the worthless wankle ever did was
check the ledgers in the morning and did nothing at all the rest of the day.
Yet sold himself as being the epitome of the hardworking businessman.

Most of the 'ooooo, these hard working people are going to be harmed' falls
into that category. Anyone doing real work, producing real things, and doing
so
under sound business practices is going to be fine.

What I mean by bettering their lot is that people will no longer be able to
put up the pretense of 'working' when all they are doing is shuffling piles
of
paper and bits on a computer from here to there. </HTML>