homestead - Re: [Homestead] Appearances

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Appearances
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

I just got home, downloaded mail, and wow, you guys have me in stitches
on this thread.  You are all hilarious!  Gosh darn it!

But on to a point that I can't make anywhere else but here...
Referencing the Couric interview..
The only person I have ever heard defend Palin was Elizabeth on The
View, and she is such a right wing fanatic that I can barely tolerate
her.  Her defense was that Palin did not want to endorse a newspaper,
says Elizabeth..
I disagree.
I think that it was a combination of the following:
1. Nerves.  Couric ain't Mike Wallace, but she is still big time.
2. Interview fatigue.  It is my understanding that this was a long
interview, over an hour?
3. Palin, after having been briefed all week on various other things,
probably was on guard for trick questions.  While it was an innocent
question(odd, though-but I did not see the entire interview as to how
the conversation worked its way to newspapers).  She was stammering
around, stalling for time as she tried to think of an answer that would
not be incriminating.  If she mentioned a Wasilla paper, for example,
she would not be 'worldly', if she mentioned the NYT, then people would
wonder why, especially since they are brutal towards her.  WSJ isn't a
good answer...of course, the National Enquirer wouldn't be a good answer.
4. The best answer, which is probably the most truthful one, is that she
rarely reads print anymore as more newspapers are online.  That is what
she should have said, then she could easily say yahoo, google, fox, or
whatever.
5.  My last point is this..for the most part, it doesn't matter whether
you read the NYT or the AJC (Atlanta Journal and Constitution).  These
papers are owned by media mogul families and there is very little
independent reporting. Individualism comes through editorials, and now
the most read journalists have online blogs in addition to their print
columns.  Newspapers subscribe to print feeds from Reuters, AP, etc, so
all the news is pretty much coming from a few sources anyway.
I think, in her caution not to put her foot in her mouth, she put her
foot in her mouth.  It was the worse possible thing she could have
done-to look stupid and uninformed.  I think this incident points not to
her intellect, as some would suggest, but to her inexperience with
international media attention.  That is a lot of fame in a few short
weeks, perhaps we should cut her some slack??  No way.  This is the
trial by fire.  If she can't handle this, overcome this, then she
doesn't deserve to be Veep.

Akka, who again, thought the Republicans won the debate, but was
apparently wrong.  I think Palin's sidestepping was a bit too obvious
and in your face.  Had she not made that comment, I think she would have
scored better among Americans.  However, it is just this type of raw,
unpolished, straight shooting energy that Americans say they want...Last
night was definitely entertaining, <wink> ...(that was for you, Lisa-and it
bothers me, too, but then, so does looking at Biden eyes and Obama's eyes
too, for that matter)