homestead - Re: [Homestead] Appearances

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Appearances
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:32:37 -0400

What if they really mean it...? the Bless your Heart, I mean.

Euphemisms don't bother me. We come from a big country, and I have been in most parts of it. The colloquialisms and figures of speech are part of what gives color to our population. Mispronunciations don't bother me, except in the fact that the speaker sometimes looks like an idiot.

Much more important to me "What is said", rather than "How it is said"

Obama, for instance. His delivery is excellent. His timing is good. His inflection and speech pattern are very practiced and polished. I can appreciate his ability to speak, and grab an audience. However, he says nothing for the most part, and when he slips, and does say something, I find it disturbing.

McCain doesn't speak nearly as well. Of course, I find most of what he says disturbing, as well.

Ray

Incidentally, Hitler was also a very effective speaker. Content was frightening, but delivery was incredible.