homestead - Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 19:27:53 -0500

> I just heard California threatening that the whole state government
> could be shut down because of lack of money by the end of the month.
> Does that mean that they have no cash and borrow money that often to
> make payrolls, etc? A LOT of people and governments need a wake up call
> to start living within their means.

The Governor of California just this last week signed the state budget that
was a record two and a half months over due. Essential state spending had
been shut down and many small business with state contracts had to shut
down. The budget continues the fictions in borrowing and spend with a over
a $15B deficient. The current crisis makes it even more expensive and
difficult to continue the Republican mantra of borrow and spend.

In California the Democrats have the majority in the legislature but a
revenue bill has to pass with a 2/3 majority but no such restriction exists
for spending thus giving anti tax proponents twice the power. Also
California has a tough term limits law so no one in positions of power have
been there very long so power resides in staffers and others with
institutional memory. California is becoming ungovernable and the governor
pushes some cockamie ideas such as selling the lottery to raise revenue.

Republicans, the party that wrecked America.

Don Bowen KI6DIU