homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes not fruiting

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes not fruiting
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

Tomatoes won't set blooms in temps over 95 degrees.  Apparently, the high
temperature kills/alters the sperm, um, pollen. :)
Akka

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:06:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Bob, set up a shade cloth to tent the toms and if you can spare the water,
mist the tent.  This should drop the temps under the tent and in time, you
should get some tomatoes. Just out of curiosity...
my vines grow taller than I can reach, as tall as I can support them.  How
tall do desert tomatoes grow?  Also, is your soil that bad that you have to
use miracle grow?  Do you not have a compost pile? manure teas?