homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moral dilemma

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moral dilemma
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:17:27 -0400

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Lynn Wigglesworth
<lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> The neighbor tells me that people got $2,300 an acre for LEASING the
> mineral rights (I think a 5 year lease). I have 42 acres...that's
> $96,600 with a good chance that they'd never drill on my property. If
> they do drill, I'd get something like 16-19% of the value of the gas.

Lynn, that's a tough call that only you can make. I believe we should be
going after renewable energy as well, but the chance to be debt-free or much
closer to it would be very appealing. For me, the gut test and being able to
sleep well at night with the decision I've made (or am about to make) is
often the true test. How is the money received from the lease taxed (just
guessing that it's treated as income in some way)?

Lisa