homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moral dilemma

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moral dilemma
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:57:33 -0400

> The way my finances are going, it may come down to leasing the mineral
> rights or sell the farm (to someone who would not hesitate to lease the
> rights).

I have relatives on my Momma's side in NW PA that have done this. The
way I see it your land needs to be cared for, it also needs to
produce. If this production can help you to stay on the land, go for
it. But, make sure that a lawyer looks at the contract to see that
things are going to be as you understand them.

You mentioned how gas is drilled (on its own pressure). Can drilling
for gas damage ground water?

Rob - Va