homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got pigs

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got pigs
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:14:54 -0800

You're going to have to be careful with bleeding. Most piglets are done when "days" old, not weeks, or at least that has been my experience. The younger they are the quicker they heal and the less bleeding.

We've always used a scalpel but have used an Exacto knife in a pinch. A razor blade is asking for trouble! You can get a good grip on the scalpel/Exacto knife that you can't get with just a razor blade. AND, it is easier to keep away from fingers! Also, you can dunk the scalpel/Exacto knife into a disinfectant and not get it all over yourself.

As old as the piglets are, I think I'd be inclined to use a styptic powder after the swab with an antibiotic.

So, swab down the area, then follow the step by steps but use the scalpel/Exacto knife (sterilized), then swab with a disinfection and then dust with the styptic powder (btw, they make a medical one that is antiseptic as well).

Oh, and since it is probably still warm and humid out your way, you might want to keep a close eye on them for swelling (edema) and if you see any, run some cold water on that area for 5 to 10 minutes every 1/2 - 1 hour or so until any *excess* swelling goes down.

Lynda

P.S. Bob, piggies don't have the right type of scrotum to band. You are more likely to cause gangrene trying to band a piglet.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

These piglets are about 6 or 7 weeks old. I intend to have a friend hold them.