homestead - Re: [Homestead] our prez-Nuclayer, nuclear, or just nuke the whole damn thing.

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] our prez-Nuclayer, nuclear, or just nuke the whole damn thing.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:32:12 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Walton wrote:

> Like I said, somehow he ended up with a distinct Texas accent. More
> distinct than his brothers or daughters.

Well, let's see..
Jeb spent time in Mexico as an English teacher.  All of my English teachers
enunciated better than I do and did not sound as Southern as I do.  Also, he
lives now in South Florida...it may be geographically Southern, but it is not
linguistically Southern...mostly.

Neil spent summers in Maine and the school year in Washington DC.  Not
conducive to development of a Texas accent.

Marvin also spent summers in Maine and the school year in VA...again..that
doesn't develop a Texas accent.

Doro has lived in Maine most of her life....again....

So, of the kids, it looks like W is the only one who actually spent his youth
in Texas.  Perhaps that is why is accent is more distinct, don't ya think?

> He by the way was born in New Haven, Connecticut of Connecticut
> people. He was raised by those people in Texas. His accent is
> certainly Texan, not something that a Connecticut Yankee just picks
> up, IMO. This is one of the first reasons I never trusted Bush when he
> was running for office.

Rob, please clarify the above, because I am getting that you never trusted
Bush when he took office because he had a Texas accent when he was born in
CT.
You've really kind of lost me in this discussion.

I worked with some guys from NY and Boston for a period of about a year.
After that, my accent changed to the point that Southerners thought I had
been raised elsewhere.  Since I have moved away from the city, my accent has
become very, very country.  Point is, it doesn't take long to change an
accent and you are never too old to have your accent change.

> "Changing "nu-clee-ar" into "nu-cu-lar" is an example of what
> linguists call metathesis, which is the switching of two adjacent
> sounds. (Think of it this way: "nook le yer" becomes "nook ye ler.")"

I don't say nucular, I say nukluar or something.

BTW, Rob, the other day I had a friend over and we were reading some of the
posts to the list and she saw the one where you said something to the effect
of I am a Southerner because I was raised in Florida.  Now, my friend is from
southern Alabama <snicker, snicker, I tease her all the time> and she says
"Why everyone knows there are no Southerners left in Florida...lol"
Just thought you would get a kick out of that...or maybe not.  ;)  Please
know that while my timing may be off, I really AM joking around with ya.  I
like Bob's comment about being named Robert in VA.  Very creative.

Akka B, saying nuke now, as not to offend or irritate Rob :)