homestead - [Homestead] Chemistry ?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chemistry ?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:25:28 -0800

O.K. all you chemist type folks out there. Anyone know anything about the chemical properties of grape leaves? What "special" or different chemical might be in them that would make a home canned pickle more crisp?

I'm trying to cut down on buying "stuff" and had heard that using a grape leaf in your jar when making pickles would give them a better texture since home canned pickles are inclined to be mushy. So, when I put out my last batch of zucchini pickles I stuck a grape leaf in each jar and blessed if the zucchini pickles aren't a rather nice firm texture compared to what one might expect from zucchini.

So, I'm wondering what the magic is in the grape leaves. AND, it sure is a whole lot less expensive to simply walk out the door and cut some grape leaves instead of heading on down to the neighborhood market to buy Pickle Crisp, which btw, you can't buy anymore or some alum.