homestead - [Homestead] new stuff

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] new stuff
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:08:17 EDT

Hi, Akka B -

How could you be turned off by the color? 'Tis a green world, eh? Nowadays,
though, I cheat and buy the premixed spice package from the grocerymonger.
And then I add finely minced red onion and small-chopped fresh tomato. I can
see
where chile powder would be a good basic start. Speaking of chile powder, if
you're just getting into these flavor combinations, see if you can find a
jicama - 1/4" "chips" sitting in a bowl of lime juce, and everyone can just
come by and snag one and dip it into a mixture of chile powder and salt. Yum.

Try this - goes great with anything roasted or grilled:

Mango Salsa

1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 c peeled, diced cucumber
1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno1/3 c diced red onion
1 tbsp lime juice (I suppose you could substitute lemon, but not quite the
same)
1/3 c roughly chopped cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Re the papaya - I've never bought one just to eat - wouldn't know what to do
with it. I have bought them fresh - or a can of nectar - because papaya is
an excellent meat tenderizer.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave