homestead - Re: [Homestead] new stuff

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] new stuff
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:00:41 -0400

> Okay, so now I am totally psyched to try things. The other thing I bought
> was a mango. I recall trying something with mango years ago, but I did not
> like it then. It looked like a peach, but tasted differently-can't
> describe it other than to say that I did not like it. I am thinking of
> trying it ala Mexican style with chili powder and salt. Does anyone have
> any other suggestions?

Green mangos and just turned color ones are great. I like 'em as they
are. Salt, hot sauce are good toppings. You buy mango twist in Central
America. It's run through an apple peeler like thing that makes thin
twists. Topped with hot sauce, lime juice and aywashte (sp - ground,
toasted, pumpkin seed.)

I really miss Mango season in south Florida. Big fat, ripe juicy run
all over your face mangoes. What you get in the store is not the same
thing.

> Also, what about papaya?

If you can get one that is ripe, it's really, really good. I like to
take mine and make a smoothie with some milk. Used to grow them in
Florida, and miss a good papaya. Green papaya can be grated and tossed
with some lime, chilis, salt and onion to make a nice salad type dish.

Here's a recipe for Thai style:
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Green_Papaya_Salad.htm

I'm glad you tried guacamole. I'm and avocado snob in this country.
Can't get good ones in the store. I got spoiled in Central America. I
like mine with a little garlic.

Rob - Va