homestead - Re: [Homestead] I got a truck

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I got a truck
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:29:47 -0400

On Aug 17, 2008, at 6:51 AM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

Real defense: Roy and I discussed it before I did it. He just didn't
get to eyeball it.

Here's my summary report on "the truck".

The thing did kinda strongly dent the budget, but all in all, she did good on it. This thing is in very clean condition, almost no rust underneath (VA uses little or no salt compared to up north).

I've spent quite some hours in the thing so far, both with sheep out back and not. It drives very nicely. If you push the "Tow/Haul" button on the highway, it refuses to get into overdrive, spends a lot of time at high RPM, and I assume the mileage is very bad. I'm learning to shift it with the accelerator

I've spent just a short time under the thing, and found one bent part: the steering dampener. Clearly, it's the lowest thing under the front and took a rather solid dent. I must assume it's not working much, if at all - the piston seal has to be munched through. I'm assuming it's a cinch to replace, and will do so once I get a part. It looks like a passenger car rear shock absorber. Maybe that will reduce a bit of steering wander on the road.

A disturbing noise from the wheels turned out to be a loose axle cover on the trailer. Two of the three bolts were missing. That will take very little to fix. By the way, Celia did well on the trailer, too. An older Bison two-horse that is not luxurious, but works just fine. It appears to need only one replacement running light. Brakes on both axles, spare tire is new, running rubber in good shape.

Any advice on parts sources for the Ford would be welcome. (I notice it has TWO monster batteries. I shudder at replacing them when the time comes. They seem to have blankets around them. What's with that? I saw no house current heater plug in cord.)

Also, it came with no manual. What do folks suggest I get? I wonder if a polite email to Ford would bring me something free. They are still in business, aren't they?

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd
Lovettsville, VA 20180