homestead - Re: [Homestead] I got a truck

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I got a truck
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:39:14 -0500

Battery heaters are often used in very cold climates. Look to see if there
is an electrical connection to the pickup wiring harness. Even using a
minimal amount of current will warm a battery to get more power.

If a block heater is what you are looking for don't get one of those
dipstick heaters. What they mostly do is cook the oil right at the
dipstick. For best results get a block heater that will replace a freeze
plug. That way the whole block is warmed. They can be a problem to install
so sometimes an inline heater in a heater hose works as well.

Fords sometimes eat up the glow plugs. Not all that hard to replace but the
block sending unit is a real bear.

Don Bowen KI6DIU