homestead - Re: [Homestead] solar tube question

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] solar tube question
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:38:19 -0400

Hi Deb,
I haven't used them but have installed a few. They may have improved since then but I seem to remember the lumen output as being only about a third of a common florescent which is barely enough light to start seedlings. And the lumen output rapidly diminishes with length of the solar tube. You would have enough light to see by in the basement but probably not enough to grow plants.

deb wrote:
Has anyone tried to use solar tubes to bring in light to grow vegetables? I
live in a huge hardwood forrest, don't want to cut the trees and have sooo
many deer that growing veggies outside is almost impossible. I do have a
clear spot over my house that gets sun so I thought if I could install some
solar tubes and run them to the basement

--
For by your words you will be justified Keith Bellinger
And by your words you will be condemned bartermn AT epix.net