homestead - Re: [Homestead] solar tube question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] solar tube question
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:49:35 -0500

On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:20 PM, deb wrote:

Hello everyone,
I've been a lurker here for awhile and I finally have a question for all of you. Has anyone tried to use solar tubes to bring in light to grow vegetables? I live in a huge hardwood forrest, don't want to cut the trees and have sooo many deer that growing veggies outside is almost impossible. I do have a clear spot over my house that gets sun so I thought if I could install some solar tubes and run them to the basement, I could garden there without increasing my electric usage (bad for the planet and my pocketbook) and not fattening up the local deer population. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Deb in Indiana

Hi, Deb. It doesn't sound right to me. For substantial light to travel from rooftop to basement you would need larger tubes than I have seen. There are other issues. In addition to light, plants need lots of carbon dioxide for photosynthesis.

Are you wanting to grow, um, special plants?

Double fences will stop deer. They can jump one but won't if they can see that their noses will slam into the second fence. Six feet between fences worked here.