homestead - [Homestead] microwave popcorn

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] microwave popcorn
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:43:48 -0400

We like popcorn and I've tried a bunch of different ways to make it...hot air popper, hot oil in a pan, shaken in a cage over a fire, microwaved. I've never gotten it quite how I liked it, though. Dense, chewy, burnt, soggy, whatever.

And then I discovered this...plain old popcorn tossed with a little oil and put into a regular old brown paper bag, folder over. Put in microwave until popping slows. The bags can be reused once or twice depending on how much oil you toss with. It would be interesting to try it without any oil, now that I think about it. You can try re- popping the stuff at the bottom and you have a good success rate.

I like it. As much as I dislike using the microwave for food, this is worth it for my popcorn fix.

I am a classic butter and salt person, but every once in a while it's Spike and nutritional yeast. And butter. Did I mention butter?

Credit on the Popcorn to Alton Brown, the crazy scientist cook.