homestead - [Homestead] Maps

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Maps
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:48:26 EDT

> I've seen those maps...better yet, I have coveted those
> maps..lol...pricey is right! I'm not sure that I buy into GMS or Toye's
map, but I think the maps
> have value nonetheless. Mostly they are based on the past, like the
> wide Mississippi valley sea stretching from the Great Lakes to the Gulf.
> It's been that way in the past, so it is likely to happen again.
> When, we don't know.

Okay, there I go again, off on a false premise. It may well be that IT is
likely to happen again, but - odds are - since new 'history' is being made
every day, something else could very well happen (before or after). I do so
envy
and appreciate your knowledge.

I was not considering the map to be based on the past...I was actually
assuming (there's that word again) that someone in a white lab coat, armed
with
supercomputer and a brain twice the size of mine - had taken the time and
trouble to predict the...er, um...gallonage (new word) of water that would be

released in the event of total glacial meltdown at both poles. And calculate
the
way all that water would level itself out over all the continents. It
obviously is more complicated than that.

Hence my interest yesterday in the magnetic shift. I just know (with a
capital K) that this would have an overwhelming effect on agriculture and
husbandry (is that still a word?) - and, if 'swiftness' is an issue, we need
to think
about our food base.

> You won't lose the western US from sea level rise
> alone, but much of it was underwater in the past. I think what a lot of
> "earthchange seers" have done is taken glimpses of the past at different
> times and combined it all into one catastrophic map, and I just don't
> think it will work that way. For every action, there will be an equal
> and opposite reaction....if sea level rises in one place, depressing the
> crust down, it will rise somewhere else, or will be sublimed and
> 'recycled' as lava somewhere or something...

I am a word person. The term 'catastrophic' holds a certain deliciousness to
me, as does 'survival' and 'evolution'. That's not considering the human
factor, of course, lives and livelihoods that would be lost, beloved pets and

valued livestock...crops and, therefore, food. Wasn't Charlton Heston here on

the list this morning, on behalf of the NRA? (In my post, anyway). The very
idea that both coasts would simply be washed away - or tsunami'ed, or
liquification'ed (no word here) away has always been the stuff of fiction.
When I
bought the map, it was a teeny inner voice telling me, "Get thee to the high
ground". I have yet to investigate USDA zones or...

I like 'equal and opposite reaction'. A basic principle. And I was serious
about the spray-can styrofoam. There are websites dedicated to the concept.
That's why I have researched the weight of my vehicle sans engine, and the
cost
of a hefty draft horse, and I know which trees 'round here are straight and
true, and would come down easily to serve as a travois.

I am still researching the New Madrid Fault Zone, as well as the Jaramillo
Event lead you gave us last night.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave
Sun just going down. Surrounding mountaintops hazy all day due to Northern
California fires.

fuel-efficient used cars.