homestead - Re: [Homestead] Maps

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Maps
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:05:41 -0500

On Jun 26, 2008, at 11:01 PM, Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

Main hazard here would be earthquake. We would be completely cut off. I
wrote this once before and Gene responded that we shouldn't worry because
evildoers would be foiled by transportation foul-ups and natural boundaries, which
was comforting, but later I thought - hey! that would leave them all out here
- in our backyard, out of gas and in a bad mood, with no resources and no
recourse.

Look at a map. Now imagine hundreds of thousands of vehicles coming out from population centers being driven by people who are even less sane than usual, who are seriously on edge, who are scared crazy-- which is necessary to get most people to leave their homes--who did not have the tank full, who did not have that repair done, some of whom have guns and think that gives them an edge and there's no way the cops can get to them so they get to live their long-fantacized world, and do. Cars run out of gas, get flat tires, fender benders galore, then pileups. Roads quickly become jammed to a stop. A few people turn into animals. All this will happen within a short distance from the cities, I believe.

Anyone who makes it all the way out to the country is much better prepared and would likely be a good addition to your community.