homestead - Re: [Homestead] Maps

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Maps
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:01:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2008 8:05:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

Other than the maps, what makes you think that you will need to relocate
and what is your prime hazard where you are?

Bev
The concept, mainly, of the coastlines disappearing under water for miles
and miles - and the old survival instinct. Came the maps, to add fuel to the
fire.

And then, back in mid-April a bunch of us attended a three-day Homeland
Security seminar here at the Community Center (yes! they came here!! to
Newberry
Springs). The three instructors informed us that the masterminds of 9-11 had
been tracked, in retrospect, as havng traveled from L.A., out the I-15 (one
of our boundaries) to Las Vegas, and thence to New York. Scary. I wanted
outta
here. That particular fear has subsided, thank goodness, but remains in the
back of my mind.

Add all that to the fact that - as you pointed out - all this has been
underwater before, and it could happen again...and no telling when.

Main hazard here would be earthquake. We would be completely cut off. I
wrote this once before and Gene responded that we shouldn't worry because
evildoers would be foiled by transportation foul-ups and natural boundaries,
which
was comforting, but later I thought - hey! that would leave them all out
here
- in our backyard, out of gas and in a bad mood, with no resources and no
recourse.

The End.
Sandy
Mid-Mojave

Our newly-formed Disaster Council has plans for dividing up the 'area' into
quadrants - mostly for the purpose of large-animal rescue, and plans are in
the works for checking on all the far-flung, remote residents (lots of whom
are
elderly). Many of our 'streets' are unmarked, making it difficult for
emergency vehicles. Everyone has been advised to keep a 2-day supply of
whatever
medications they need in their freezer, amd labeled, so emergency personnel
know what to do.

fuel-efficient used cars.