homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:27:46 -0400

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

Meantime, here in my junk'n'stuff, there's a map that cost me a pretty penny, showing which areas of NA would be inundated - and to what degree - should global warming cause the seas to rise. When I got it, back in '05, I figgered I'd head for North Dakota.
Any truth to that rumor?

I've seen those maps...better yet, I have coveted those maps..lol...pricey is right!
I'm not sure that I buy into GMS or Toye's map, but I think the maps have value nonetheless. Mostly they are based on the past, like the wide Mississippi valley sea stretching from the Great Lakes to the Gulf. It's been that way in the past, so it is likely to happen again. When, we don't know. You won't lose the western US from sea level rise alone, but much of it was underwater in the past. I think what a lot of "earthchange seers" have done is taken glimpses of the past at different times and combined it all into one catastrophic map, and I just don't think it will work that way. For every action, there will be an equal and opposite reaction....if sea level rises in one place, depressing the crust down, it will rise somewhere else, or will be sublimed and 'recycled' as lava somewhere or something...so for example, if the western US sank, for some reason, that same force would cause other areas to rise. There is a theory that the whole New Madrid Fault zone, since it is mid plate, is from glacial rebound...the land springs back now that there is no huge glacier pressing it down...

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky