homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden pests, four-legged variety
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:10:17 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM, <Bunjov AT aol.com> wrote:

> Now, I've been following this (although it doesn't apply to me - all we
> have
> out here is Jackalopes), but -
> when I moved in here, last December, I met the owner's cat. Name: Butch.
> Why? Because he/she/it had been living on the property for years,
> subsisting on
> lizards and birds and such, and no one had any idea about gender. And
> he/she/it wouldn't allow anyone near enough to classify. So - got named
> Butch. In
> either case, it applies.

We have Hobbes. He's a golden 'tiger' stray cat we adopted six years ago as
a kitten. He's the sweetest, most natural born killer of a cat I've ever had
the pleasure of keeping. He's an outdoor/indoor cat. My husband often says
that Hobbes is the hardest working animal in our farm. Birds, rabbits, mice,
moles are just toys to him. Mere playthings. Just the other night he killed
a woodchuck. No kidding. A couple months ago we bought one of those
tear-away collars (so the cat can't hang themselves on a tree limb or fence)
with a bell on it, boy he hated that thing and it disappeared in under a
week. We were trying to protect the birds, we like to actually preserve some
of the wild life around here.

So we've tried to have Hobbes go after the deer, we're sure he could scare
them away with his bravado, but no such luck. He also does the best version
of Cat Yoga I've ever seen. If only my spine would twist like that. I might
be enlightened.

Lisa