homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:38:59 EDT

>> Sound like this may work..... Just passing this message along .....
> Another example of a "Country boy can survive"....

It does work. For about two days. Then the deer are used to it and ignore
it.

A popular deer remedy of a few years ago was to hang up discarded CD's so
that as the wind moved them they would flash light. It works too. For two
days.

Moving the balloons, CD's, pie pans, etc around might extend the protection
to four or five days, but that's it.

Having battled deer for two decades the only things I've found that deter
deer are dogs and the 'doughnut of death' (a sort of deer moat). The
combination
of the two has left my garden more or less deer free so far this season.

A .30-30 is also an effective deterrent.

James </HTML>