homestead - Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:51:15 EDT

> >No, I don't think gasoline will become unavailable or priced so high
> that ordinary people can't buy it.

Speaking as an ordinary person, lobster and prime rib haven't gotten so
expensive that I can't afford them ... so long as 'afford them' means once
every
two years or so.

As to unavailability, it depends. If we get an administration hell bent on
overregulating the oil industry, there will be shortages. That's what
happened
in the 70's and the fundamentals haven't changed any.

Yes, retired people whose money comes in the mail can live in a rural
location, as long as their life is rural. Most of the Gentleman Farmer
Esquires that
tried to settle here abouts wanted to go 20 miles or more into town every day
or twice a day because that's where their church, social contacts, friends,
recreational shopping etc was. One by one they all gave it up when gas was
$1.50/gal.

There's another factor under way. The national entitlement debt is far
larger than our prospective income revenue. Also, how often do you hear
about the
'obscene profits' the oil companies are making? Who's making those profits?
Mainly retirement funds, pensions, and other investment vehicles ... they
account for over 85% of the 'obscene profits' that oil companies make. If
the
bid to raid those profits materializes and the government continues to
sidestep
COLA by hoodoo inflation estimates, and the stock market continues to edge
downward .... that money that arrives in the rural retiree's mailbox soon
might
not be enough to fill up the tank one time to go into town to play bingo.

I find the most informative, if not entertaining, thing going on now is how
even admitting that things are very different now and will continue to be in
the future, we fail to take into account the changing realities when
evaluating
emerging lifestyles.

James </HTML>