homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:15:28 -0500

On Jun 25, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

Someone previously mentioned putting chicken wire (or similar) on the ground
surrounding the fence. Just move to mow then put it back. Here's my thought.
Our fence is lined half-way with fruit trees that extend 2-4' above the
fence. The rest of the fence is not lined with trees. There are two areas
that we suspect may be their entrance/exit and it's in the plain fence part.
What if we took some kind of wire and put it on the ground approximately one
to two feet away from the fence so that the wire extends 4-5' away from the
fence?

Something to consider is that deer will not jump over something if they can't see where they will land. So, possibly, some heavy vine on a strong fence. If hops didn't grow so high they might work.

I don't care for them aesthetically, but those chain link fences with strips of plastic or whatever threaded vertically might work. Perhaps there is a stock fence that would have openings that would fit something common. What?

Because of the armadillos, I am back to my idea of years ago of building a "wall" of T-posts holding several layers of poultry mesh with mortar embedded to make it solid. My ideal is two such walls a foot apart, then place rocks, bad dirt, upside-down beer bottles, more dirt and rocks, etc., until it is a solid wall, then cap it. Build raised beds on the south side; it would hold daytime heat and release at night, to extend the season. Would want horizontal ties from one wall to the other. And in the case, like mine, of dealing with moles, armadillos and woodchucks, there needs to be at least a thin masonry barrier down into the ground a foot or so. Might as well embed the T- posts into it.

Let's face it, what we want to do is imprison ourselves in our gardens.

Razor wire on top.