homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cure for deer in garden
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:46:32 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Having battled deer for two decades the only things I've found that deter
> deer are dogs and the 'doughnut of death' (a sort of deer moat). The
> combination
> of the two has left my garden more or less deer free so far this season.

Someone previously mentioned putting chicken wire (or similar) on the ground
surrounding the fence. Just move to mow then put it back. Here's my thought.
Our fence is lined half-way with fruit trees that extend 2-4' above the
fence. The rest of the fence is not lined with trees. There are two areas
that we suspect may be their entrance/exit and it's in the plain fence part.
What if we took some kind of wire and put it on the ground approximately one
to two feet away from the fence so that the wire extends 4-5' away from the
fence?

Other than that, I like the idea of having clowns on patrol. Beep, beep. I'm
a sucker for a clown nose.

Just came in from picking blueberries, we have three large bowls full. Today
was the first big picking day day.

lkvp